Friday, July 29, 2011

Safari in Tanzania

This summer, Dave and I went on an adventurous vacation to Africa! We had a wonderful time exploring Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Bostwana, and Zimbabwe. In this post I would like to share with you our first week in Tanzania. We spent the entire week with a private guide. We spent the week traveling through Tarangire National Park, Serengeti National Park, and Ngorongoro Crater. We saw the Big 5 (lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo, rhino)plus many more animals. Each morning we woke up early, around 6 or so, ate breakfast and jumped in the jeep. We drove around seeing animals for six or seven hours, eating a boxed lunch in the jeep. Then we would arrive back at our lodge and relax for a few hours. At night we would have a nice dinner at our lodge. Below I have included just a few of my favorite pictures from the safari. We took a total of 3,700 pictures so it will be very difficult to post just a few!

Two male lions...Male lions are very difficult to find so we were lucky to see them.
Female lion behind me...We watched her for about an hour, because it looked like she was going to attack a zebra. It was a cold morning, that is why I have a blanket wrapped around me.
Love this little baboon!
Cape Buffalo
Dave in the safari jeep
Wildebeest and zebra like to hang out together.
There were four lioness walking amongst the jeeps. They seemed to enjoy all the attention.
We are standing at the Hippo Pool. There were about a hundred stinky hippos!
One lonely hippo
Ngorongoro Crater
There were so many impalas.
Elephants
Safari jeeps
Zebras
Hyena
We watched this leopard eat a thomson gazelle that he carried up the tree, while her cubs played down below.
Cheetah
Rhinos are VERY rare!
Giraffe
I plan to blog again soon about our next adventure in Africa!

2 comments:

Austin said...

I... am... so... JEALOUS!

Jennifer Moore said...

How cool!!! I can't wait to see more pictures.