Sunday, May 1, 2011

Big Bend National Park

In May, Dave is climbing Mt. Rainer in Washington. Therefore, he has been training for the hike. We have made two trips this month to Big Bend National Park. Each time we have stayed in Marathon and then driven into the park for the day. Big Bend is HUGE, with many beautiful trails. Dave loads his backpack up with water jugs to make his pack heavy, I just walk along (with no weight) for support. My favorite way to hike! We hike five or six miles and then come back to enjoy the small town of Marathon.

Grapevine Hills Trail...
Window Trail...
Lost Mine Trail...

One of my favorite parts of hiking is the wildlife. Between both trips, we saw mule deer, javelinas, an elk, a buffalo, road runners, and rabbits.
Our first trip, we stayed at the Marathon Hotel...

Our second trip, we stayed at the Monroe-Payne House...
Both trips we have tried to stay at the famous Gage Hotel, but it has been booked because of weddings. Luckily, we got to eat there Friday night. Dave ate a buffalo ribeye and I ate buffalo enchiladas. It was delicious and the atmosphere is even better!

3 comments:

Jason and Julia Dzubinski said...

I have never been, but it looks beautiful! Good luck with the hike!

Eleanor Leigh said...

I love Big Bend. Glad you guys get to go!

Austin said...

AWESOME! I LOVE BIG BEND! That first trail we hiked in an ice storm...

The Gage is a great place, so I hope you get to stay there one day. Either way the restaurant is wonderful. But the best part? Tequila at the White Buffalo Saloon!