Thursday, July 22, 2010

Neuschwanstein Castle


Dave and I went on vacation to five European countries: Austria, Germany, Hungary, Czech Republic, and Liechtenstein. We took 1,800 pictures so it will take me FOREVER to go through them all! I have decided to blog about a few of my favorite moments from our vacation. To begin, I would like to share our day of riding bikes to Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany. One reason this castle has become a very popular tourism site is because Walt Disney used Neuschwanstein as inspiration to create Cinderella's castle. The castle was built in the 19th century for King Ludwig II. He led a controversial life and his death was very mysterious. We have toured many castles in Europe and this one has been the most impressive on the inside and out.

We made a stop at the beautiful Swan Lake. The swan is a symbol of the region so King Ludwig II had many swan decorations in his house.


We went on our second toboggan ride!


Our guide for the day graduated from magic school (seriously) so he put on a little show for us. He was really good! Random I know, but we were amazed!

After an hour and a half bus ride, two hours of bike riding, lunch, a magic show, and a toboggan ride we finally arrived at Neuschwanstein Castle. We went on a thirty minute tour of the inside. We had a great day!

This is the view from the castle. You can see King Ludwig's parents castle in the hills below.

4 comments:

Jennifer Moore said...

I'm jealous. Looks like ya'll had a blast.

Sarah said...

Looks like a fun trip! I can't wait to see more.

Jason and Julia Dzubinski said...

I loved the time I spent in Germany and Austria. I can't wait to hear more about the trip.

bradybunch22 said...

Hello,

Though I have been fortunate to visit Neuschwanstein about 3 times, this summer I will visit there with my mother and daughter! I have never done the tabbogon run. How far is this from the castle and about how much time will it take us to do the tabbogon? I think this will be a good "sightseeing break" for my 12 year old daughter! Good to see someone who enjoys Neuschwanstein as much as me!